Versioni alternative: dimensione testo

Comune di Ponzano Monferrato

Comune di Ponzano Monferrato
Salabue castle

The widespread garden

To discover the historical and botanical gardens of Casale Monferrato


Davico Castle – Salabue

The origin of the building complex, which dates back to the end of the XIII century, was mentioned for the first time in 1349 when the Marquis of Monferrato assigned the Castle, villa and consorts of Ponzano and Salabue to the daughter of Tommaso de Setaria.
From 1431 Lord Tizzoni, Facerio, Bossi, Natta, Nuvoloni, Striggi, Fassati, Bruschio and Cozio, invested with the title of Counts of Salabue, reigned in the Castle which was located in a sort of shelter. The successors of the Cozio Family are now the owner of the property.
“Design of the Castle of Salabò”, written by Giovan Battista Scapitta (22nd October 1683), is considered a key element to understand the historical evolution of the building complex.
The document shows that the building called “Palace of the Count”, which is the current Castle, was surrounded by a Church and “houses with different details”, that is, some houses that were located  in three small blocks.
People could reach the complex, surrounded by a moat, by walking through a door with a drawbridge.
Cozio Family made important changes: the old building was turned into a new residence suitable to the aesthetic standards of that period and the moan was drained and filled, so that it has become the drive of the current residence.
In that period the roof garden was presumably planted at the same level of the main floor from which it was possible to enter the women’s gallery of the Church and attend Mass. Moreover the landscape park, laid out on the hillside that surrounds the complex, was realized.
In 1935, after a short period during which Bezzo Guazzone Family owned the property Davico Family purchased the Castle and made new changes to its structure, designed by architect Gianni Ricci. Then the painters Alfredo Parachini and Vittorio Accornero, from Casale  Monferrato, decorated the interiors.
Around 1948 Mr. Accornero designed the new roof garden layout: geometric flower beds bordered by boxwood hedges and containing a lot of roses are arranged around an ancient well made of stone.


Garden of the Davico Castle

A long path, bordered by chestnuts and boxwood hedges, leads up to the main entrance.
The Castle faces a look-out which is held up by a high retaining wall covered by countless and delightful volunteer plants, such as the garish capers and the delicate Cymbalaria. On the parapet colorful annuals and two sweet-smelling Chimonanthus are grown while in winter the architectural background opposite the gate is decorated with a Sofora pendula.
Some walls are covered with beautiful roses and a spectacular wisteria. It is wonderful, especially in summer, when it comes out and shades the terrace which connects two wings of the historic house. At the foot of the building a lot of ageratum plants of the same color as the wisteria grow.
They are the protagonists of the lovely roof garden enclosed with two high walls and  a façade of the Castle with a terrace held by columns. The fourth side of the garden overlooks the gorgeous landscape which has been under cultivation for a very long time.
A well made of stone collects rainwater and it is in the middle of a parterre consisting of a lot of geometric flower beds brimful of colorful of Floribunda roses bordered by dwarf boxwood hedges and brick walkways arranged in a herringbone pattern.
Other roses of different colors cover the enclosing wall while a lot of pale yellow Lady Hillingdon and Lady Bank’s roses climb the columns of the portico. In spring their branches are full of flowers.
A magnificent magnolia is an important focal point which is counterbalanced by the bell tower of the Church, located just beyond the wall that encloses this precious secret corner.